Monday, June 19, 2017

Player(s) harassed by an angry mob

A while back I talked about player being synonymous with character.

One of my favorite examples of this is the Villains & Vigilantes 2nd edition's rulebook - 4.4 Designing Adventures, p. 32. It has these great tables of "Supernatural Events" and "Ordinary Crime" and "Revoltin' Developments!"

The best part is that they all say Player, not Character.

Hence the title of this post - that's #16 on the table, along with:

Player(s) Framed for a Crime.

and

Player(s) mistaken for Villains.

abd

Secret Identity of Player(s) discovered.

The meaning here is totally clear. But it's not any less funny in an age after making clear distinctions between "player" and "character" as terms of art has taken hold. I can't wait to see what the Protectors books have along these lines.

In the meantime, though, I'll keep chuckling along as Player(s) [are] harassed by admirers thanks to a die roll.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to leave a comment about the evolution of the idea of separating the player and the character, but it was covered very well by the commenters in the thread you linked to above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I like it. Reminds me of a line in "GURPS Alphabet Arcane": "“the exact numbers given here should be known only to the GM, who may be changed if necessary”.

    I love the thought that GURPS RAW includes the right of the players to "change the GM, if necessary."

    In fact, I think I chuckle about that in a post somewhere... ah, here it is: https://thecollaborativegamer.wordpress.com/2016/10/26/the-gm-may-be-changed-if-necessary/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We GMs don't like to advertise that fact too widely.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...